The History of Lemoyne Baptist Church
Jesus Said, “. I will build My church, and the gates of Hades shall not prevail against it.” Mat 16:18
- In Feb of 1974 three families, Jones, Motters, & Radabaughs left the liberal church they were attending. Ted Motter, after meeting with the minister (who denied the writings of Paul as being inspired & denying the virgin birth of Jesus Christ) said “If it is the Lord’s will we will start a Bible believing church in the area.”
- The group began to meet in the living room of Ted & Lois Motter on Wednesday evenings. The Word of God was taught and an offering was taken.
- Pastor Earl Umbaugh, the missionary for the state of Ohio met with the group and helped begin planning the start of a church.
- The Lemoyne town hall was leased for one year at $1 and the 1st service was planned for Dec 1st, 1974. But due to grand snow storm services were not held until Dec 8, 1974. A van was used for one of the Sunday School meeting rooms. On occasion, the raccoons were heard running up and down inside the walls and playing in the attic while the service was going on.
- Pastor Curt Classen of Wauseon, OH held the first service and was soon called to be the first pastor.
- On Dec 7, 1975 LBC began holding services in the Holiday Inn on Rt 280. There were 82 in attendance at the first service.
- On April 13, 1976, 5.5 acres of land that was used to grow corn (at corner of Genoa and Bradner Road) were bought in cash from James Wetmore.
- On July 31, 1977 a call was extended to Pastor Charles Alexander to be the second pastor of LBC. Pastor Alexander started working on the building plans and did much of the work along with other members in constructing the new facilities.
- On Wednesday, Dec 20, 1978 the saints of LBC met in the building for the first time.
- In May of 1986 LBC extended a call to Pastor Ronald W. Shinkle. Pastor Shinkle accepted the call and began preaching every Sunday starting in June of 1986. On Aug 15th, he and his family moved from Warsaw, Indiana to minister to the
saints of LBC.
- On September 5th, 1999, Lemoyne Baptist Church held a ground-breaking service to start building an 8,400-square foot multipurpose room with classrooms, nurseries and bathrooms. With the use of missionaries from Baptist Missionary Builders, the church by God’s grace will build this structure debt free. All praise to the Lamb!
- On July 29, 2000 the new 8,400 sq. ft. multipurpose building, attached to the back of the current structure, was completed thought the direction of Baptist Missionary Builders. This addition includes seven class rooms (about 400 sq ft each), a fully equipped kitchen, two large nurseries, spacious bathrooms, and a 2,700-sq. ft. fellowship room with all of it air conditioned. The costs have been driven down to about $30 sq ft thanks to our missionary builders, much volunteer help, and special pricing on materials. What would normally cost $1,000,000, LBC has built for under $300,000 and debt free on top of it! We praise our awesome God. He has given us a spirit of unity as we have gone through this building phase. The phone system and over 300 padded chairs have been donated.
“And with great power the apostles gave witness to the resurrection of the Lord Jesus. And great grace was upon them all.” Acts 4:33